Google

Monday, October 1, 2007

Big Bang Theory: The Big Bran Hypothesis

ORIGINAL EPISODES, MONDAYS AT 8:30PM ON CBS

I didn't get a chance to review this show last week when it premiered so I'm going to combine my thoughts into this one. Honestly, I LOVE this show! It is so smart and the writing is so brilliant that it's easily one of the top five comedies on television already. I might be a bit slanted towards hoping this show is around for a while since I had the chance to actually walk on the set of this show last month; but truthfully the show IS THAT GOOD!!

First off, the writing is beyond intelligent. The knowledge needed to write the lines for this show is beyond anything required for just about any other show. Of course this is necessary given that four of the five main characters have genius IQ's. The true quality of this show however, lies in the fact that on top of having to write genius level lines the writers have been able to make them funny. This is no easy task and they have done it superbly in the first two episodes.

Secondly, the actors have great chemistry. I wasn't sure how well a group of nerds and one hot girl would play out. But the actors bring so much to the screen in the way of timing and likability that it works and it works very well. The center of the show in my opinion lies with Sheldon. Jim Parsons (Sheldon) comedic ability and believability as a nerd carries over to everyone else. His sarcasm is fantastic and the way he can keep a straight face as he delivers each and every line makes them all the more effective.

In this second episode, Sheldon and Leonard are given Penny's key to let in the moving men when they arrive with her furniture. When they bring Penny's box into her apartment (with more than a herculean effort needed to do so) Sheldon see's that she is a pig! Her apartment is a disaster zone. Later that night Sheldon decides that it would be a good idea to sneak into her apartment as she sleeps and organize the mess. Yes, Penny was right, this is creepy; very creepy actually. But as she soon realizes, you can't hold these guys to the same standard as everyone else. They're so innocent that you can't help but give them some slack and understand that they really just can't help themselves. Granted Leonard knew it was wrong which is why he may one day, in the very distant future, have an actual shot with Penny.

The genuis of this show doesn't lie in any recap I could give in a review. It just doesn't translate to paper. You need to watch it to understand and I hope that you do. You can already see the potential of the show as the characters become more familiar with each other. I want to know your opinions so leave some comments and I'll see you next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Ratings For The Big Bang Theory In week 2 Again !!

The show finished # 2 in its time slot behind the mighty Dancing With the Stars, and it built on its How I Met Your Mother lead in by 13%. It also beat NBC's critically acclaimed Chuck by a whopping 14 %.

The Big Bang Theory is thriving !!

Mr. President said...

I had a feeling after the first episode that there would be some buzz about the show and an increase in ratings. To be honest, I'm actually a bit suprised at how good the show really is. I've see Kailey in a few shows before this but I wasn't sure how well she would fair as a lead star. She seems to be doing just fine though.

I'm loving the show and I hope the ratings stay this way or better.

Anonymous said...

I thought Kaley has been doing really well so far. It's great to see her on another show, and the show has been excellent so far. Very funny.