Google

Monday, October 8, 2007

How I Met Your Mother: Third Wheel

ORIGINAL EPISODES, MONDAYS @ 8PM ON CBS

This was more like it. After last week's lackluster episode, "How I Met Your Mother" came roaring back with an absolutely hilarious episode. If you watched this episode I'm sure you'll agree that this typifies why the show is so great and probably the best show people are not watching.

Tonight, we mostly followed Ted as he reunited with Trudy (Danica McKellar), the girl from the "Pineapple Incident." To catch you up if you watched the first season (or for those who are newcomers to the show), the last time we saw Trudy she was Ted's one night stand and snuck out of his apartment on the firescape while Ted was in the living room with everyone trying to figure out who she was and why there was a pineapple on his nightstand. Needless to say, we never figured out where the pineapple came from but we did figure out it was Trudy who had met in McClarens earlier that night.

Sadly, we're no closer to finding out where the pineapple came from. But it was great to have Trudy back on the show. Awesome cameo with Busy Phillips (Rachel) as Trudy's college sorority sister with whom she is very competitive. You'll remember Busy from her days on "Dawsons Creek" as Audrey Lidell. This competition turns into a battle royale for the world championship belt; a possible feat that very few men have accomplished, a "tricycle" with Ted-Rachel-Trudy. I was hysterically laughing when Barney pulled out an actual championship belt. But I have to say that no matter what the case it was wrong for him to break that CD. You NEVER cock block a friend, ESPECIALLY when he's about to work a tricycle.

All of this added up to a classic "How I Met Your Mother" episode. I should point out that there was a "B" storyline going on in all the craziness. Robin was out on a date with a surgeon and had not shaved her legs so that she would hold out on the sex. While this was mildly amusing as she desperately tried to get a razor so she could shave before going back to her dates apartment from the restaurant, desperation really doesn't suit her character. She's much funnier when she's in control and playing guys a bit. The fact that she was working so hard to get some wasn't all that funny.

One thing that's bugging me about the episode though. Of all the places for Marshall, Barney, and Lilly to hide so Ted could ride the "Tricycle" why would they pick Ted's room?! Marshall's room was right there! That made no sense but I guess the writer's wanted to give Ted an excuse to talk with them about it and for Barney to break the CD. Still, it made no sense to me. They could have just had Ted leave the CD in Marshall's room.

For my money, I would have picked Trudy if it came down to picking one or the other. She's much hotter. If you're not watching this show you're missing out on greatness! Start watching and let me know what you think.
By the way, I'd bet Ted didn't do the "tricycle." He's always been that good hearted, innocent, loving type of guy, I personally don't think he could go through with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too was confused by their choice of hiding places. I think it should've been the bathroom. I have three reasons.

1) It would've been a throw-back to Zip, Zip, Zip where Marshall and Lily had to hide out in the bathroom while Ted and Victoria got it on

2) It would've mirrored Robin's experience trying to shave her legs in the bathroom of the restaurant

3) Barney likes to sleep in tubs.

Other than that, great episode. My highlights here:
http://www.have-you-met-ted.com/2007/season-3-episode-3-third-wheel-discussion/