Google

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Heroes: Four Months Later

ORIGINAL EPISODES, MONDAYS @ 9PM ON NBC

I'm going to use a different format for Heroes in my review because the characters aren't really all that connected, at least not in this second season premiere. So I'll review each character's storyline and you can comment on all the characters or just each one individually.


Dr. Suresh:

Well, well...Suresh has become a bit more open to the world around him and not so naive. I have to tell you that I totally didn't see it coming; I really wouldn't have guessed that he was trying to set up The Company with Noah. It's good to see that the old storylines haven't fully gone away after last season. I am curious though exactly what this virus does to the Heroes and how it started. I guess it's just a genetic virus but it's very interesting that his sister died from the same virus.

Alejandro & Maya:

I have a feeling that these two new characters are going to shack up the show. Alejandro seems harmless enough but Maya must have some major stuff going on to be able to kill all those people. Plus, what was that black stuff coming out of everyone's eyes? It reminds me of the good old days of The X-Files. I think Alejandro is some sort of antidote to Maya's power which is why they need to be near each other all the time. The two characters are interesting but as of right now I'm not too sure how much I enjoyed watching them. This could change when I see how they fit in the overall story.

Claire:

There's just no way that she can stay out of trouble. She's a teenage and indestructible - bad combo for trying to be stealthy. Then again Noah couldn't do it either. Well Claire's at a new school and needs to be silent. She wants to be a cheerleader and misses having friends - so is she a robot or an alien? Her new guy friend seems interesting and apparently can fly too! I didn't think we would see two Heroes with the same power so soon. She was easily the most intriguing storyline for me this episode with Molly and Matt coming in a close second. To me it always seems that Claire is one of the central parts of everything that happens and if you follow her you'll eventually find the trouble. So this begs the question, what will she brings us this year?

Who knew she was so smart? She knew the Charles Darwin answer at the drop of a hat. Can you believe her mother still has that damn dog? And what happened, I thought her mother was working for the Company? I forget but did they all not find out about that yet?

Hiro:

In my opinion the worst and most absurd storyline brings Hiro to feudal Japan where he meets his hero Kensei. The only problem is that Kensei turns out to be a white, english guy (David Anders - "Julian Sark" from Alias). From what I understand he's there to find out about his family history but to me this is just boring. I'm not really finding it all that much fun. Either way, it seems that somehow Hiro changed history when he moved Kensei from the path of the arrows but we still don't know how or in what ways. I figure Hiro will be in Japan for a while longer as we get these answers.

Matt Parkman & Molly:

Glad to see he's getting some of his life back with the job at the NYPD. Very smart using his ability to figure out who the hostage was. Very surprised actually to see him taking care of Molly. Although it works for him to be the father-figure; it comes naturally to his character. We also learned that he's getting divorced which is not at all surprising since she cheated on him. Great idea for hm to work with Suresh to bring down The Company; they'll never be safe unless they're gone.

Molly is a bit scary actually. She like a poltergeist child or something when she yells and goes nuts. But obviously she's still seeing this monster of a man and he's the one sending the pictures with the Kensei symbol on them (her pictures show the same symbol as the one's sent to Hiro's dad and Nathan's mom). Although I'm still not going to write off Molly as innocent and harmless, I think she may affect people in a terrible way later on. Her storyline though is intriguing if nothing else than because of its implications for every other character.

Ando:

Not much to talk about with him except for his connected to Hiro's father. He's working for Hiro's father now except not for long. Whoever the man is that Molly is seeing killed Hiro's father. I think I have an idea though who it is, Peter Petrelli! I think his new powers can allow him to be in two places at once or somehow the explosion split his being in two. But this I'm sure won't be answered for a long time.

Nathan:

Nice to see Nathan again although his life is falling apart. I think he'll pull it all together again though when he sees Peter alive. Not a great part of this episode but as always he should have a big part to play down the road.

Peter:

How in the world does he end up in that large metal crate after exploding in space? That's one of the big questions of this premiere. More than that, how did he end up with more powers and what are they? As I said above, I think he's the one Molly is seeing or at least his alter-ego or something. Next week should bring us more answers about Peter and I can't wait to find them out.

Overall I thought the episode was mediocre and thus disappointing. I expected more from the season premiere. The second half of last season was no where near as good as the first half and I'm still hoping they can pick up the pace. If they don't I think a lot of viewers will be turned off and stop watching.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her mother was never working for the company. That was the one who can change her appearance pretending to be the mother to find out if the dad was loyal or not.

Anonymous said...

Also you missed an obvious question -- why didn't Nathan die? Peter lived obviously because he can heal himself but Nathan has no such power. Why didn't the explosion kill him?

Mr. President said...

True...with a show like this it's sometimes hard to remember the details after the long summer. Still though the mom is definitely creepy.

That was an obvious question about Nathan but I sort of chalked it up to something like he let go over Peter and flew away. But now that you mention it Nathan did see himself all disfigured in the mirror so maybe there was more to it.

Anonymous said...

yeah i think there's def something up with nathan, it's not as simple as him just being fine. Maybe there is some power that lets everyone else see him as normal but he sees himself as he really is.

The mom's brain is totally fried from so many doses of the memory erase. Why did she just magically stop having those seizures?