Google

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back To You: Fish Story

ORIGINAL EPISODES, WEDNESDAYS @ 8PM ON FOX

I really wish this show took place in Chuck and Kelly's office (or anywhere else for that matter so long as its not in the newsroom). It's almost like watching two totally different shows - when they're out in the newsroom I'm bored and I haven't laughed once in two episodes; when they're in Chuck and Kelly's office I can't stop laughing. This probably speaks more to the fact that Kelsey and Patricia are the only two funny people on the show rather than which set they happen to be shooting on. I shoot mention however that Fred Willard is also damn hilarious and the only supporting cast member pulling his weight. Either the other cast members need to work harder or the writers need to re-evaluate how they're writing this show because it's just not working so far.

Overall though the second episode was leaps and bounds better than the series premiere. The jokes were better, they weren't as forced, and we had more of Chuck and Kelly than anyone else. This is what they need to do every episode and they might just have a hit on their hands. I'm sure this was unintentional but the writers finally figured out the best use for Josh Gad's character Ryan; they need to tone down his outrageousness and use him as a play off the jokes coming from Kelsey, Fred, or Patricia. He works much better that way and comedically he's significantly more effective.

Did the newsroom meeting outside Chuck and Kelly's office remind anyone of "News Radio?" I seriously felt like I was able to watch a reunion from that show.

A few jokes I thought were great this episode: The light falling into the goldfish bowl after they finally got a live fish was hilarious. I figured it would die somehow but I was shocked when that happened; very funny. Also, the tazer report by Ty was hilarious! I honestly didn't think I would laugh as hard as I did but once he fell over and then his uncontrollable shaking while trying to continue the report was just too much. Lastly, Marsh's comment about making Ty's "girl scream" into a ringtone was great. There are so many things I wish I could make into ringtones so this one really hit home.

Keep up the good work over there but hopefully the writers can work out the kinks with the supporting cast. My recommendation is to keep watching; I definitely will be.

No comments: