Google

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Damages: We Are Not Animals


SEASON 1 ORIGINAL EPISODES, TUESDAY'S @ 10PM ON FX

I'm not really sure how I feel about this episode. I sat down to write this review the night of the airing and I just couldn't do it. While I liked it, I'm not sure I loved it as much as the previous episodes. Most of all, it did not live up to the hype from last week's previews. The previews made it feel like we would have these amazing revelations after watching the episode. Although some things were surprising I didn't feel like it was groundbreaking or earth-shattering. Worst than that it just wasn't as exciting as usual. While it answered some questions it left many more unanswered and I felt like I would at least have one or two of the big questions answered.

We find out that Patty had something to do with the attack on Ellen at her apartment; or at least it seems that she did. Ellen gets attacked, her fiance' killed, and the very same day Patty is missing. Then Ellen points out for us that only Patty knew she was at her apartment that night which means Patty will either have a great story to tell or she is very guilty. Personally I think she was involved just the same way she was involved in the murder of Katie's dog earlier in the season. And at the end of the episode we find out that Tom may be involved too!! Now this I didn't see. I had a feeling he would betray Ellen but I didn't think he would ever have had anything to do with the attack. Now my gut is telling me that he and Patty for some reason set it up together. Tate Donovan has done an amazing job on the show this year. I was afraid I'd see Jimmy Cooper (The O.C.) all season but he really has developed this character nicely and changed some of his mannerisms.

A big moment in the beginning of the episode revealed that Ellen did not kill her fiance' David. Not that I ever really believed she did or could, but we now know for sure that she didn't which reinforces my theory from last week that the stalker Lila (the daughter of David's patient) is the one who murdered him.

One of the things I like the most is the dynamic between Patty and Ray. They're on opposites sides of this massive case and yet somehow they sort of show respect for each other even if it's never said. Patty doesn't respect anyone except for herself but when she's in scenes with Ray I get the feeling that she respects his abilities as a litigator. I like that there's at least one person who she feels is a worthy (or somewhat worthy) opponent.

The one thing that kills me is the stupidity of the police (and possibly the writers) in this episode. They decide to arrest Ellen officially based on her fingerprints on the murder weapon, the fact that she's covered in blood, and was found near the scene. The problem is that if they tested the blood on her they would find out it wasn't David's and she was at her apartment because it's her apartment. And OFCOURSE her fingerprints were on the murder weapon, IT WAS A GIFT TO HER AND IN HER APARTMENT!!! You can't arrest someone based on fingerprints alone being present on the murder weapon when the weapon was in the person's own home and was a possession present in the home before the murder; there is no way based on that to prove she used it to kill him since its equally as likely that she just held it other times. You would need a lot more than that for an arrest and the writers dropped the ball on this one.

The whole Patty/Tom/Ellen triangle baffles me. I still don't understand what the big deal is between them. Patty wants Tom to herself and Tom likes Ellen but can't say no to Patty. But I don't get why Patty is so anxious to screw over Ellen. She used her to get to Katie and I understand she may need to use her again but I don't see why she feels its necessary to screw with her life. She could just as easily get what she needs from Ellen without doing that. I guess we'll find out sooner or later what exactly her motivations are.

I have to tell you that I think Ellen is amazing. I wish I were as smart as she is. As a lawyer myself I know how impossible it is to write a perfect brief on any topic and she was able to do it on the first shot earlier in the season. And now she so easily sees through Tom's rhetoric and is able to set him up to get to Patty. It was great to see her get a little revenge against the people that underestimate her.

I can't wait to see where Patty is hiding out and what actually happened that day. On a side note I was a bit disappointed that we didn't have any appearances by Arthur Frobisher (Ted Danson) this episode. He brings such a great and creepy feel to the show that he really should be there every night. In the meantime, leave some comments and theories on what will happen, I'd love to read what you think.

No comments: