Google

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Back To You: Gracie's Bully

ORIGINAL EPISODES, WEDNESDAYS @ 8PM ON FOX

"Back To You" is finally back after two weeks off thanks for the baseball playoffs. Unfortunately they should have kept it off the air for another week. You'd think that after 6 episodes into the season the team over there would have a good idea about the shows strengths and weaknesses but apparently they have no clue. Each week has been inconsistent and I never know if I'm going to see a funny episode, a terrible one, or something oddly in between. On top of that they're just not getting the idea that anything shot at the newsroom is NOT funny. For some odd reason the writers just can't seem to be funny while writing for the newsroom. I've been giving this show an honest shot if for no other reason than Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammer are great comedic actors but I'm almost at the end of my patience.

With the ensuing writer's strike it may be just the time for FOX to cut its losses here and move on. If anyone could give me a good reason this show should stay on I will certainly hear your point of view and take it into consideration. For me, I've watched many, many comedies over the years and I just don't see this one making the cut. Kelsey and Patricia are great and when they're in scenes together I can see the potential of the show. The problem is the supporting cast. The writers just can't seem to figure out where these actors belong and what their comedic strengths are. Montana has gone from a ditsy weather girl to an intelligent comedic character to somewhere in between. Fred Willard (Marsh) is there and that's pretty much it; he's contributed almost nothing to the show so far. Gary and Ryan have yet to be funny except in limited circumstances and what they contribute each week keeps changing so much that I have no idea what their purpose is. Not that the writers can do much about it now since they're on strike but IF Fox keeps this show going they need some serious reconfiguring to make this show successful.

In this episode we found Chuck and Kelly dealing with a school bully who has been going after Gracie. Luckily and coincidentally (yea right), Gracie's class happened to be coming in to the news studio on a class trip. Coincidentally, the bully decided to verbally and physically attack Gracie in front of her mother. Please! This is ridiculous. I felt like I was a five year old being shown the coin behind the ear joke. The entire premise of the episode and the set up for the jokes were telegraphed, transparent, and unintelligent. As for the rest of the cast, apparently it was their job to look like buffoons in front of the kids. This was a poor attempt at making us laugh and did not work. I should mention that I'm still baffled Marsh's "Casey At The Bat" storyline. I really just have no idea what that was about; it was ridiculous.

Hopefully in the next couple episodes left before Fox runs out of the taped shows we'll see some improvement and have an idea about the future of the show. They've already stopped production until the strike is over so it's future is certainly far from secure. Until next week, enjoy the review!

No comments: